Port Arthur Tour from Hobart
- Duration: 9 Hours (approx.)
- Product code: PUJNV3
Pick-up: 8.15am/9.15am (approx.) from selected Hobart hotels
Drop-off: 5pm/5.30pm (approx.) at your pick-up point
Once hotel pick-ups are completed, you'll depart the city and travel east towards the Tasman Peninsula. The peninsula is almost entirely surrounded by water (with narrow Eaglehawk Neck the only entry point), which made it the ideal location for the penal settlement. You'll stop to take in the dramatic coastal scenery at Pirates Bay.
On arrival at the Port Arthur Historic Site, you'll enjoy a 40-minute guided walking tour with a knowledgeable local guide. The settlement was constructed in the 18th and 19th centuries. Your guide will point out key buildings and answer any questions you may have. You'll have ample time to explore the site further at your own pace, before taking a short harbour cruise past the Isle of the Dead. It will give you a sense of what it was like for the many inmates that arrived at this isolated location by boat.
- Travel from Hobart across the Tasman Bridge and into the Coal River Valley — the lush wine producing region that surrounds the historic town of Richmond
- Enjoy a drive through Richmond and a short photo stop at the famous convict-built bridge (Oct to Apr only)
- Continue on to the beautiful Tasman Peninsula — an area of abundant natural bushland, native wildlife and sublime coastal scenery
- Pass through Eaglehawk Neck — the only entrance to the peninsula
- Stop in the Tasman National Park at Pirates Bay and take in the wonderful views, rugged coastline and striking rock formations (a great photo opportunity!)
- Enjoy around five-hours in total at the World Heritage-listed Port Arthur Historic Site
- Visit the Interpretative Centre and learn about the harrowing daily life of a convict
- Join an included guided walking tour with a local guide to learn about the many restored buildings and ruins
- See the famous penitentiary building, separate prison, Commandant's House, chapel, and so much more
- Enjoy a short cruise on Carnarvon Bay past the eery Isle of the Dead.
This Port Arthur Tour from Hobart ends back in the CBD with hotel-drop-offs.
- Guided group tour
- Services of a knowledgeable local guide
- Informative commentary
- Comfortable transport
- Complimentary WiFi on board your coach (subject to coach availability)
- Entry to Port Arthur Historic Site
- Guided walking tour with a Port Arthur Historic Site guide
- Harbour cruise.
* Please note: The itinerary provided may change due to weather conditions and operational requirements.